Sally Ann Berk
Areas of Expertise
– Content Writing and Editing
– Research and Reporting of original and relatable stories
– Business development plans
– Marketing plans along with advertising copy and collateral development – catalogs, brochures, and direct mail pieces
– Social Media
– Corporate communications strategies
– Quick reaction, quick turnaround projects with high visibility
– San Francisco Bay Area Transportation and Transit agencies; freeways and transit systems
Writer/Editor, DATA ANALYST, PUBLICIST
Highlights and Successes
– Wrote 12+ non-fiction books — positive reviews — 36 million copies sold worldwide; available in several languages. Titles include: The New York Bartender’s Guide, The Big Little Book of Jewish Wit & Wisdom, and The Martini Book. The Farmers Market Guide and Cookbook was recognized by Mothers and Others as one of the best food books for families.
– Developed and implemented nation-wide marketing plans for over 100 books, representing popular authors such as Maurice Sendak, Martha Stewart, Jean Auel, and Robert Fulghum.
– Designed, created and produced well-received documents for a variety of purposes, from reports and proposals to press kits and newsletters, email blasts and social media.
– Analyzed police reports 24/7 in the San Francisco Bay area to immediately synthesize and post short, informative alerts on commuter website. Wrote incident reports and created special site for posting. Mastered customized software applications and multiple social media sites with no training or ramp-up time.
– Provided attentive client service and sales at the retail level with positive feedback from both store managers and customers.
– Led and participated in fundraising campaigns to raise millions of dollars.
Partial List of Publications
Columnist (2014). Oakland Local. Oakland, CA: www.oaklandlocal.com.
Author (2012). The Martini Book: 201 Ways to Mix the Perfect American Cocktail. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Author (1996, 2010). The Naturalist’s Herb Guide: How to Find, Select, Grow, Apply, Dry, Brew, and Cook with Nearly 300 Herbs. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal
Author (1994, 2006, 2009). The New York Bartender’s Guide: 1300 Drink Recipes for the Home and Bar. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal. Editor-in-Chief (2002 to 2009). The Omer monthly magazine. Oakland, CA: Temple Beth Abraham.
Author (2004). Deluxe Smoothies, Shakes, and Sparklers. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Author (2000). The Big Little Book of Jewish Wit and Wisdom. New York NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Co-Author with T. Tumbusch (2000). Tomart’s Encyclopedia of Action Figures, The 1001 Most Popular Collectibles of All Time. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Author (1996). The Farmer’s Market Guide and Cookbook/Farmers Market Cooking. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Co-Author with J. G. Wakeman (1996). A Reasonable Affliction: 1001 Love Poems to Read to Each Other. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Author (1994). How Smart You? Test Your Country Music IQ. New York, NY: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Contributor (1991). Publishers Weekly. New York, NY: Reed International (Cahners).
– Self-Employed, Writer/Editor/Researcher, Oakland, CA, 1990 to present
– 511.org/IBI Group, Operator/Data Specialist, Oakland, CA, October 2007 to June 2016
– Armin Brott (MrDad.com), Producer/Researcher, Oakland, CA, May 2006 to May 2007
– Restoration Hardware, Sales and Customer Service, Berkeley, CA, October 2006 to September 2007
– CompuServe, Community Manager, Systems Operator, Remote, 1995 to 1999
– Captain Mike’s Holy Smoked Salmon, Sales and Marketing, San Francisco, CA
– Random House, Villard Books, Publicity Director, New York, NY, and Los Angeles
– Crown Publishers, Publicity Department, Associate Director, New York, NY
AB, English, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA
English Studies in scholastic partnership with Haverford College, Haverford, PA
French Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Oakland Unified School District, Volunteer, Oakland, CA, August 2015 to present. Prepared classrooms for first day of school
Temple Beth Abraham, Director, Oakland, CA, June 2002 to June 2009. Led policies and rules development; managed member programs; produced special events, launched publicity and marketing campaigns, reached out to new members; raised millions for capital campaign.
Hadassah, Board of Directors, January 2001 to January 2003
Planned Parenthood, Fundraiser, Los Angeles, CA, 1990 to 1991
References available upon request